[tz] New Yorker article on David Mills and NTP

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Tue Oct 4 16:07:26 UTC 2022

On Tue 2022-10-04T09:27:32+0000 John Haxby hath writ:
> Back in the early 70s there were 86400 seconds in a day, every day.
> It was only with the advent of leap seconds that some days has 86401
> or 86499 seconds.

A clock that is never reset does not correspond to anything that
humans can observe.  At no point in history has there been a source of
official time that does not experience resets of its clock.

When the clock on the wall in my house is wrong and I reset it the
foundation does not crack and rain does not pour through the roof.

The implementation of time in computing systems is fragile because it
is based on an unrealistic notion that clocks are always right and
never need to be reset.

--
Steve Allen                    <sla at ucolick.org>              WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB 260  Natural Sciences II, Room 165  Lat  +36.99855