[tz] New Yorker article on David Mills and NTP

dpatte dpatte at relativedata.com
Tue Oct 4 19:01:31 UTC 2022

I follow numerous astronomy lists, and there is serious discussion at the IAU (International Astronomical Union) to get rid of leap seconds altogether, and possibly replace them by something else, perhaps leap minutes (or even leap hours) - making them far less common. I believe they expect to make a decision soon, though they have been discussing it for years and had planned to make a decision 2 or 3 years ago.

In this case we would add or drop a minute (or hour), when UT1 and UTC were more than a half-minute (or half-hour) out of sync. The concept with hours is that it would work more like a day-light savings transition, and named UTC1, UTC2, etc.

Had this been done originally, there would have been no leap-second transitions up to now at all, in fact.