[tz] New Yorker article on David Mills and NTP

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Oct 5 04:11:51 UTC 2022

On 10/4/22 19:51, Steve Summit via tz wrote:
> if you wait long enough, the multi-minute jump that
> you then need isn't a "leap" anything, it's a political change
> to the definition of a time zone, readily handled by the well-tried
> mechanism that we on this list all know and love.

This should be fun once we start changing time zones to to be more than
24 hours away from where they are now. Espenak & Meeus 2006[1] predict
that this will be around the year 7000. It will be like "Around the
World in Eighty Days", but in slow motion and involving the whole planet
rather than just Phileas Fogg and Passepartout.

[1] according to RH van Gent's ΔT Calculator
<https://webspace.science.uu.nl/~gent0113/deltat/deltat_main.htm>.