[tz] New Yorker article on David Mills and NTP

Paul Gilmartin PaulGBoulder at AIM.com
Wed Oct 5 12:02:13 UTC 2022

On 10/4/22 15:24:49, Steve Allen via tz wrote:

> A decade ago two state of the art atomic clocks would agree with
> other within 1 second after 300 million years.
> In 300 million years a calendar based on purely atomic time will have
> counted 3 billion more days than have been witnessed by people living
> on the surface of Earth.

On such time scales and much sooner, current astronomical data bases
will have been obsoleted by chaos in:
o ΔT
o n-body celestial mechanics
o precession of the equinoxes
o stellar proper motions.

Necessary empirical corrections will be made.

Smearing has proven less disruptive to computer systems than leap seconds.
I still favor UT1 as a generalization of smearing.

Are pulsar frequencies measured with TAI or UTC?

When Standard Time was established in the 19th Century, the width of
a time zone was about a day's travel distance.  This is obsolete.

People cling desperately to the alignment of clocks with solar
time.  Consider Uyghur civil disobedience in Xinjiang.

And yet, historically a six-hour adjustment was made abruptly, since:
<https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%2020%3A1-16&version=KJV>.

--
gil