[tz] New Yorker article on David Mills and NTP

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Wed Oct 5 22:21:06 UTC 2022

Tom Lane via tz said:
>> On 10/4/22 19:51, Steve Summit via tz wrote:
>>> if you wait long enough, the multi-minute jump that
>>> you then need isn't a "leap" anything, it's a political change
>>> to the definition of a time zone, readily handled by the well-tried
>>> mechanism that we on this list all know and love.
>
>> This should be fun once we start changing time zones to to be more than
>> 24 hours away from where they are now.
>
> Everyone on this list will be safely dead before any of that matters,
> but ... how would that work really?  I think most people understand
> time zones as "offsets from UTC".  We know how to cope with changes
> in those offsets, having done it many times before.  But it's not
> clear to me how tzdb could handle step changes in UTC itself in the
> same way.

No, you don't do that.

You leave UTC alone and each country shifts its time zone by an hour
relative to UTC. For example, by omitting an autumn shift (if I've got the
sign right) or, if it doesn't use the despised bi-annual shifts, by having
a one-off shift.

Eventually you'll have places on zone UTC+30 or UTC+51.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.