[tz] Wrong timezone Information provided

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Thu Oct 6 20:25:56 UTC 2022

On 2022-10-06 4:07 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 2022-10-06 13:01, Brooks Harris via tz wrote:
>> Windows derives its time zones from tzdb, mapped through Unicode
>> Common Locale Data Repository (CLDR):
>>
>> GitHub windowsZones.xml
>> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/unicode-org/cldr/master/common/supplemental/windowsZones.xml
>>

>> I believe this file is curated by Microsoft.
>
> Yes, as I understand it Microsoft Windows 8.1 and later has data
> derived from tzdb in its Windows Runtime / Universal Windows Platform
> classes.
The time zone information resides in the Windows Registry, at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones

> There's also Windows Subsystem for Linux, which is shipped by
> Microsoft and is a virtualized Ubuntu with its own copy of tzdb,
> though I doubt whether WSL is relevant here.

I do not have experience with WSL, but its said to run Linux *directly*
within Windows, not as a virtual machine.

What is the Windows Subsystem for Linux?
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/about