[tz] New Yorker article on David Mills and NTP

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Thu Oct 6 20:41:38 UTC 2022

I would add that Posix relies on the c standard, and tillions of devices
have only 86400 holes into which only 86400 seconds per day can go. It's
infeasible to retrofit an extra hole into those systems to accommodate
that 86401th positive leap-second. And some hole will be left empty if
there is a negative leap-second. Computer time and UTC with leap-seconds
are incommensurate and we're probably just going to have to live with it
for quite a while.
-Brooks