[tz] New Yorker article on David Mills and NTP

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Thu Oct 6 20:53:19 UTC 2022

On 2022-10-04 4:15 PM, Michael H Deckers via tz wrote:

>    On 2022-10-04 19:01, dpatte via tz wrote:
>

>> I follow numerous astronomy lists, and there is serious discussion at
>> the IAU (International Astronomical Union) to get rid of leap seconds
>> altogether, and possibly replace them by something else, perhaps leap
>> minutes (or even leap hours) - making them far less common. I believe
>> they expect to make a decision soon, though they have been discussing
>> it for years and had planned to make a decision 2 or 3 years ago.
>

>    The BIPM is now in charge,
I think this may be a matter of debate or controversy. UTC as currently
specified is controlled by ITU-R.

Note the line in Draft Resolution D on page 24
"requests that the CIPM consult with the ITU, and other organizations
that may be impacted by this decision in order to ..."
and
"encourages the BIPM to work with relevant organizations to identify the
need for updates in the
different services that disseminate the value of the difference
(UT1-UTC) and to ensure the correct
understanding and use of the new maximum value."
> and the CGPM on 2022-11-15..18
>    in Paris will vote on the proposal D on pages 7..8 and 23..24 in
> [https://www.bipm.org/documents/20126/66742098/Draft-Resolutions-2022.pdf/2e8e53df-7a14-3fc8-8a04-42dd47df1a04]

Note the line in Draft Resolution D on page 24:

"decides that the maximum value for the difference (UT1-UTC) will be
increased in, or before, 2035,"

As I understand this there is a country with veto power that will not
accept changes to UTC until at least 2035. I believe this is why the
2035 date is mentioned. Several other countries remain opposed to the
change. I think this suggests UTC with leap-seconds will be with us for
a very long time.

-Brooks