[tz] Wrong timezone Information provided

Guy Harris gharris at sonic.net
Thu Oct 6 21:05:14 UTC 2022

On Oct 6, 2022, at 1:25 PM, Brooks Harris via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> On 2022-10-06 4:07 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
>
>> Yes, as I understand it Microsoft Windows 8.1 and later has data derived from tzdb in its Windows Runtime / Universal Windows Platform classes.

> The time zone information resides in the Windows Registry, at
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones

Is that what SystemTimeToFileTime() and FileTimeToSystemTime() use?  If so, is it now derived from tzdb data?

>> There's also Windows Subsystem for Linux, which is shipped by Microsoft and is a virtualized Ubuntu with its own copy of tzdb, though I doubt whether WSL is relevant here.
>
> I do not have experience with WSL, but its said to run Linux *directly* within Windows, not as a virtual machine.
>
> What is the Windows Subsystem for Linux?
> https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/about

	https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/compare-versions

"WSL 2 uses the latest and greatest in virtualization technology to run a Linux kernel inside of a lightweight utility virtual machine (VM). However, WSL 2 is not a traditional VM experience."

WSL 1 "[virtualizes] a Linux kernel interface on top of the Windows NT kernel":

	https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/archive/blogs/wsl/windows-subsystem-for-linux-overview

whereas WSL 2 runs a Linux kernel inside the aforementioned lightweight VM.

But none of that is relevant, as Paul suspected, to applications using the Windows API or the Windows Runtime / Universal Windows Platform APIs.