[tz] New Yorker article on David Mills and NTP

Michael H Deckers michael.h.deckers at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 6 23:19:53 UTC 2022

    On 2022-10-06 20:53, Brooks Harris via tz wrote:

 >  I think this [who is "in charge of UTC"] may be a matter of debate or
 >  controversy. UTC as currently specified is controlled by ITU-R.

    Well, TAI is produced by the BIPM, UTC - TAI is decided by the IERS,
    and the 26th CGPM have approved a definition of UTC (which implicates
    that it is the business of the BIPM to give the definition).

    The ITU decide how UTC is used in their standards, and in particular,
    how UTC is disseminated with radio signals; they do not (re)define UTC.

    There is a Memorandum of Understanding between the BIPM and the ITU that
    regulates all this (and promises cooperation) in legalese:
[https://www.bipm.org/documents/20126/42177518/BIPM-ITU+MoU.pdf/d5ae968b-28ba-3a2b-611b-a7ca9b2a2111]

    Michael Deckers.