[tz] New Yorker article on David Mills and NTP

Fri Oct 7 18:26:40 UTC 2022

On 2022-10-06 19:34, Paul Eggert via tz wrote:
> On 10/6/22 15:45, Garrett Wollman via tz wrote:
>> C (intentionally) does not make any requirements on the encoding of a
>> time_t, other than requiring that it be numeric.  tzcode contains lots
>> of complexity to deal with the numerous possible different
>> realizations allowed by the C standard.

> Despite its complexity, tzcode no longer supports every possibility
> allowed by the C standard. I removed support for floating-point time_t
> in 2013e, with the comment "It wasn't tested and probably never worked,
> no platform used it, and the latest POSIX no longer allows it."

AFAIR only C libraries for IBM 360/370/390/z e.g. IBM OS/MVS and VM/CMS
SAS/C, used double time_t to handle the IBM ToD clock (later SysPlex
timer IIRC) specified in the arch to update bit 52 (BE) every µs, but
provided total 64(/128) bits with as much precision as required for
discrete timestamps for hardware error logs. Looks like SAS/C support
stopped in 2001.
[Gig was porting a Windows 16 bit product to work across IBM OSes!]