[tz] What's your idea of a perfect date?

dpatte dpatte at relativedata.com
Tue Oct 11 18:54:50 UTC 2022

In Canada, the official method for today is 11/10/2022, except if you are a programmer, or from Quebec, where 2022-10-11 (ISO style) is more common.

But I sometimes get cheques (checks) from the USA which for today would be 10/11/2022. So here at least, we see cheques with all 3 formats. Most Canadians no longer use cheques - now I see why.

US chains (Walmart) often print their receipts in the US format, but Canadian businesses generally use Canadian or ISO format. Its a huge headache if you have a small business and count your pennies on your receipts at tax time - especially if your corp year end is not Dec 31st. 'Was this receipt for last tax year or this tax year'.

I personally convinced Ottawa International Airport to convert their displays to ISO format. Their original display software was setup with the USA format.