[tz] [PROPOSED 1/7] Avoid undefined behavior if no Link lines

Ian Abbott abbotti at mev.co.uk
Wed Oct 26 08:58:05 UTC 2022

On 26/10/2022 06:59, Tom Lane via tz wrote:
> Guy Harris via tz <tz at iana.org> writes:
>> On Oct 25, 2022, at 9:34 PM, Jonathan Leffler via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:
>>> I see nothing in the C standard specification of qsort() that says sorting an array with zero members leads to undefined behaviour.
>
>> I see nothing in C90 through C18 that explicitly say anything about passing NULL as base and 0 as nmemb.
>
> Refreshing my memory about this ... I think the argument hinges
> on this bit in C99, which applies to all C-specified library
> functions:
>
>         7.1.4  Use of library functions
>
>         [#1]   Each  of  the  following  statements  applies  unless
>         explicitly stated otherwise  in  the  detailed  descriptions
>         that  follow:  If  an  argument to a function has an invalid
>         value (such as a value outside the domain of  the  function,
>         or  a pointer outside the address space of the program, or a
>         null pointer) or a type (after promotion) not expected by  a
>         ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>         function  with variable number of arguments, the behavior is
>         undefined.  If a function argument is described as being  an
>         array,  the  pointer  actually  passed to the function shall
>         have a value such that all address computations and accesses
>         to  objects (that would be valid if the pointer did point to
>         the first element of such an array) are in fact valid.

Also in 7.22.5 Searching and sorting utilities, paragraph 1:

[...] Pointer arguments on such a call shall still have valid values, as
described in 7.1.4.

> There's a faction that thinks that the underlined comment entitles
> every libc function to halt-and-catch-fire when passed a null
> pointer.  Never mind whether a nearby zero count argument clearly
> forbids it from making any memory accesses associated with that
> pointer, as expressed by the immediately following sentence.
>
> I side with Winston Churchill in saying "this is nonsense up
> with which I shall not put".  There are no useful grounds for
> claiming that qsort, memset, memcpy, etc, with a null pointer
> and a zero count argument should be undefined.  It's merely a
> gotcha for the unwary programmer.  C had a similar gotcha back
> in the nineties for integer division with negative values ...
> which they eventually fixed.  This needs to get fixed in the
> language standard, not worked around forevermore.

I tend to agree, and was not really aware of the requirement until today!

--
-=( Ian Abbott <abbotti at mev.co.uk> || MEV Ltd. is a company  )=-
-=( registered in England & Wales.  Regd. number: 02862268.  )=-