[tz] Wrong day light savings (DST) in Syria

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Fri Oct 28 15:23:32 UTC 2022

On Fri, 28 Oct 2022 at 11:10, MAHMAOD RADWAN via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> Right now in Syria government made a decision to cancel day light saving
> (DST) in Syria but for some reason smartphones (android and ios) devices
> reserve a change to it clock so the clock in the all smartphones are now
> late for an hour so I hope to fix this mistake and reasove the issue

We first received notice of this change for Syria on 5 October 2022 and
published it in version 2022e of our data on 11 October 2022.
https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/59aa97e8e9e3744a06cb004946a104824a5234c2

This was about two weeks before the change took effect about 18 hours
ago, which is not a lot of time.

Data updates take some time to propagate via telecommunications and vendor
support down to people's cell phones and computers.  So it is unfortunately
not surprising, given the short notice, that many devices haven't been
updated before today's change went into effect and are now off by an hour.
Once we've published updated data, it is up to these downstream providers
to apply it in a timely fashion.  For more on this topic, please see:
https://data.iana.org/time-zones/tz-link.html#changes
https://codeofmatt.com/on-the-timing-of-time-zone-changes/

--
Tim Parenti