[tz] iana build failures on Windows

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Oct 29 02:33:43 UTC 2022

After some more searching on the net, I found this page quoting a
30-year-old Microsoft Programmers Library manual:

https://www.pcjs.org/documents/books/mspl13/c/qctools/

It says, for fatal error message U1002, that "To use a dollar sign in
the file, type it twice ($$) or precede it with a caret (^)." The
"caret" part contradicts POSIX but sounds like the problem you ran into.

The tzdb Makefile has three other instances of "^$" but they're all
followed by "s" and I guess nmake doesn't mind that, though it
misinterprets the definitions in question. Since you're not running the
checks (which are the only rules using those other instances) we won't
worry about them.

Does the attached patch work around the nmake bug? If so, it may be
better than my previous suggestions.