[tz] checklinks.awk validation too strict

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sun Oct 30 04:51:21 UTC 2022

On 2022-10-29 16:00, Stephen Colebourne via tz wrote:
> We know
> that some downstream consumers edit the source files before compiling
> them, so it seems highly likely that someone will still be wanting to
> have a Link in one of the main files.

I installed the attached patch for the benefit of such users. They can
use "make check_mild" instead of "make check".

>   (And no, I don't think a command line option to turn it off is the
> right solution. If the check needs retaining there should be a
> "strict" mode only used by the default TZDB dataset)

One needs a command line argument to do any checking, as plain "make"
doesn't do checking. It's no real burden to ask people who want
less-strict checking to type "make check_mild" instead of "make check".

> I think that this check should be removed since it is
> complaining about perfectly valid input files.

If that were the criterion, we'd have to remove most of the checks, as
most of them complain about perfectly valid input files. They are style
checks, not correctness checks.