[tz] Errors compiling 2022f on macOS

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Oct 31 01:14:29 UTC 2022

On 2022-10-30 16:42, Guy Harris wrote:
> the only *BSD on which you'll get internationalization by default is NetBSD; the others won't give you libintl out of the box, just as macOS won't - you'd have to install it yourself.

That's OK. The localized diagnostics aren't essential, as most people
who run zic are computer nerds who are likely to be able to read
English-language diagnostics (and/or feed them into Google Translate).
The idea, though, is that it's nicer if zic isn't by default offputting
to everybody else.

That being said, the idea that internationalization ought to be easy
seems to be foreign enough to so many platforms, that perhaps we should
enable gettext by default only on glibc and Solaris where it's known to
work out of the box. Even NetBSD (where gettext is not an option)
requires you to link with -lintl, which is a configuration hassle.