[tz] Ecuador time zone list

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Mon Sep 19 13:42:15 UTC 2022

    Date:        Mon, 19 Sep 2022 14:10:14 +0100
    From:        David via tz <tz at iana.org>

  | Other operating systems allow the selection of Quito

That is an entirely different question, and one which is OS specific.
How users get to select a timezone (either the local one, or some other
one for determining the time remotely) is not part of this project.

We collect the time zone data, and make it available (doing which requires
that it have a label).   The various OS makers decide how (using whatever
facilities they have available) provide the mechanism for zone selection.
Some might show a map, and have you zoom, and then click on somehere,
(that requires some kind of graphical display always be available),
others might have a list of cities, others countries (and then for countries
with multiple zones, a way to select which) - none of that affects the
zones that exist, so is none of our business.

If you send a message to your OS maintainers along the lines of "Why is there
no zone for Quito?" then they're quite right to direct you here (sometimes,
a new zone really is required, because the location in question doesn't share
the same time history (at least since 1970) as we have believed it does).

On the other hand if you ask the OS maintainers "Why can't I select Quito
to get the timezone for mainland Ecuador?" and they point you in this
direction, then we will simply send you back again, with a message for
them that that question is none of our business, and it is for them to
answer.

kre