[tz] Introduce Etc/UTC+x timezones?

Paul Gilmartin PaulGBoulder at AIM.com
Fri Apr 21 23:30:40 UTC 2023

On 4/21/23 16:02:58, Guy Harris wrote:

>> Be practical.  Suppose I and colleagues in Canberra want to arrange a series
>> of E-conferences at mutually convenient tines. How should I describe my
>> timezone:
>>     MST7MDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0?
>>     /America/Denver?
>>     40°00′54″N 105°16′14″W?
>>     ... ?
>
> If they have tools that support a proper UI for selecting tzdb regions, tell them your location and, if the UI doesn't recognize Suffolk, Montana or wherever you are, give them the location of a nearby city large enough to be notable.
Then I thought my Contact card is a reasonable place to keep this. So:
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6350#section-6.5.1>

Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF)                      S. Perreault
Request for Comments: 6350                                      Viagenie
                        vCard Format Specification
6.5.1.  TZ
    Purpose:  To specify information related to the time zone of the
       object the vCard represents.
    Special notes:  It is expected that names from the public-domain
       Olson database [TZ-DB] will be used, but this is not a
       restriction.  See also [IANA-TZ].

A deprecated interface

    Examples:
      TZ:Raleigh/North America
And an incorrect example.

How does one correct an RFC?  Who should do it?

Wikipedia does a little better:
<ihttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VCard>
TZ  Optional  The time zone of the vCard object.  `2.1, 3.0: TZ:-0500
                                                    4.0: TZ:America/New_York
--
gil