[tz] offtime_r

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Wed Apr 26 09:18:32 UTC 2023

Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> writes:
> The effect of offtime_r can be implemented by calling localtime_rz
> with a fixed-offset zone. As commentary says offtime "may well
> disappear in future releases of the time conversion package", it might
> be better for offtime to vanish than to multiply. For now I installed
> the attached patch to add more commentary about the situation.

I don't feel very strongly either way but I should point out that:

- although the same effect can be achieved with localtime_rz(), it
  requires quite a bit of setup.

- offtime() is behind STD_INSPIRED, while localtime_rz() is behind
  NETBSD_INSPIRED, so it might not necessarily be available.  FreeBSD
  for instance builds tzcode with STD_INSPIRED but not NETBSD_INSPIRED.

I won't cry over offtime() if you decide to axe it but I think it's
strange that there isn't an offtime_r() to go with it.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no