[tz] Antarctic research base Vostok local time

АПС АКУЛОВ leader_vostok at aari.ru
Tue Dec 19 09:31:08 UTC 2023

 >This web page still says that Vostok time is UTC+07:
Well it ts evidently that nobody cares about antarctic timezones but you
and me.

You see, in fact it doesn't matter which timezone to use at the very
North or South — half year it is sunny, half year it is dark. So polar
men have no problems with changing timezone.

 >Could you please fix that web page?

Me — not. I''ll try to find the person who can.

 >or from 02:00 to 00:00 today

This.

 >could you please briefly say why Vostok changed
Convenience.
We constantly interact with Progress base, with company who builds new
wintering station, with sledge convoys, with aviation — they all use
UTC+5. Besides, difference between Moscow time is just 2 hours now, not 4.

 >(I hope you have not been at Vostok for 10 years! I'd rather live in
Siberia, or even in Nebraska. I can joke about this, as I was born in
Nebraska....)
I have not been to Nebraska but I can joke about it too :)
If it matters — I was burn in Murmansk, a state far beyond the Arctic
Circle; this is my fifth antarctic wintering; fourth wintering at Vostok
base; second as the chief of the base.
And my personal achieve is eighty degrees sub zero.

 >Please let us know if you see problems with it

No problems, thanx.
Comments show that polar people may treat timezones rather arbitrary.

--
УВАЖЕНИЕМ=
АПС АКУЛОВ=