[tz] Antarctic research base Vostok local time

АПС АКУЛОВ leader_vostok at aari.ru
Wed Dec 20 02:35:46 UTC 2023

Let me comment these comments too.

 >+# From Craig Mundell (1994-12-15):
 >+# http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/antarctica/QA/computers/Directions,Time,ZIP
 >+# Vostok, which is one of the Russian stations, is set on the same
 >+# time as Moscow, Russia.

See, the wintering team made Vostok time synchronized with MSK time,
that is convenient for communications with AARI.

Two years ago I thought over an idea to change Vostok timezone to MSK
but I refused that as TV news program wouldn't stream at our lunch time
anymore. That time we had an only TV channel, now we have four.

 >If the observation of a 6 hour difference between McMurdo and Vostok
was in the southern hemisphere summer while

 >New Zealand was on summer time, that observation could be consistent
with Vostok observing UTC+7 at the time.

I told I change Vostok timezone for comfortable communications with
Progress base that is the center of Russian Antarctic logistics.
Years ago the center of our logistics was Mirny base — sledge convoys
and aviation started from there. Have a look at Mirny's timezone:
https://www.aari.ru/ekspeditsii/rossiyskaya-antarkticheskaya-ekspeditsiya-(rae)/mirnyy
It is UTC+7.

--
УВАЖЕНИЕМ=