[tz] More than 2 transitions per year for Asia/Gaza & Hebron in 2068+

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Dec 30 09:38:30 UTC 2023

On 2023-12-29 22:49, Paul Goyette via tz wrote:

> IIRC, this is to accomodate a temporary-return-to-standard-time for
> the duration of Ramadan.

Yes, for example in 2072 the current guess is that Palestine will
observe DST from March 26 through October 29, except that from September
10 through October 15 it will observe standard time, to help observe
Ramadan.

This is of course sheer guesswork that extrapolates from the rules
Palestine observed in 2022 and 2023 and announced for 2024 through 2026.
One test of this guesswork will occur in 2041, where we're currently
guessing that Palestine will observe DST from March 30 through October
26, except that from August 24 through September 28 it will observe
standard time. Quite possibly they'll do something other than predicted,
which means we'll likely change our 2072 predictions as well.