[tz] Danish standard time will probably officially be based on UTC

Jonas Nyrup jnyrup at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 15:05:18 UTC 2023

Since 1893-03-29 Danish standard time has been defined as "the mean solar
time for the 15th degree of longitude east of Greenwich" (machine
translated of the offical law).
With the introduction of UTC we didn't update that law, but we did start
using UTC+1 as standard time in practice.
So for around 50 years maybe only astronomers have been following the law.

The Minister of Transportation has now proposed a bill to update the law to
define Danish standard time as UTC+1 to keep up with reality.
At the first reading all political parties expressed their support and
jokingly noted that "it was about time".
The updated law is expected to take effect on 2023-03-26.

The current law: https://www.retsinformation.dk/eli/lta/1893/83
The bill: https://www.ft.dk/samling/20222/lovforslag/l19/index.htm
Tom Scott on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRz-Dl60Lfc

Jonas Nyrup