[tz] Austin Group POSIX TZ changes and Time Zone Taxonomy

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis at Shaw.ca
Wed Feb 22 19:19:45 UTC 2023

Hi folks,

Saw that the Austin Group is proposing to support *some* time zones in POSIX
issue 8; see:

	https://www.austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=1619    TZ=Area/Location

Some of the zones could be categorized as they have proposed, but that uses
terminology that I don't think we would approve of, leaves a lot of zones in the
tzdb unsupported and unaddressed, and omits a whole reality which I have
attempted to categorize in the attached.

Perhaps some here would like to come up with better facts, names, terminology,
and wording, and propose an update to the Austin Group, that better reflects
what exists, and what they are meant to be standardizing?

If they are going to standardize this, they should either do it properly, or
drop it entirely, maintaining the status quo, as they are not going to be
helping with their inaccurate terminology, and limited support!

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry