[tz] Split America into North America and South America

Benjamin Drung benjamin.drung at canonical.com
Fri Jan 6 20:51:43 UTC 2023

Hi,

debconf [1] for the tzdata Debian/Ubuntu package ask for the geographic
area (e.g. Europe, Asia, etc) and then for the city inside this area.
The resulting timezone is $area/$city. While working on the debconf
template, I noticed that the America directory is the biggest with 157
cities. Having to find the correct city in that big list can take some
time. The second biggest area is Asia with 90 countries.

The timezones are split by continent/ocean. The Afro-Eurasia continent
is split into Africa, Asia, Europe, but America is not split into North
America and South America. For consistency I suggest to split America
into North America and South America to have all seven continents
present [2].

The git repository already separate northamerica and southamerica files.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_configuration_system
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

--
Benjamin Drung