[tz] Split America into North America and South America

Wolfgang Keller wolfgangkeller at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 21:20:50 UTC 2023

Hi,
let us consider what conventions for the number and separations of
continents exist. According to
> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Continent&oldid=1131827063#Number
there exist (at least) five common conventions for the number and
separation of continents:

a) 4 continents (Afro-Eurasia (Old World), America (New World),
Australia, Antarctica
b) 5 continents (Africa, Eurasia, America, Antarctica, Australia)
c) 6 continents, combined-Eurasia (Africa, Eurasia, North America,
South America, Antarctica, Australia)
d) 6 continents, combined-America (Africa, Asia, Europe, America,
Antarctica, Australia)
e) 7 continents (Africa, Asia, Europe, North America, South America,
Antarctica, Australia)

For the prevalence of these separations (prevalence of c)-e) taken
from the linked section of the Wikipedia article)
a) is to my knowledge motivated by geology
c) is is mostly used in Russia and some parts of Eastern Europe.
d) is taught in some countries where Romance languages are spoken and in Greece
e) is the model taught in most English-speaking countries

So the central question that the problem reduces to is: which
separation of continents should tzdata implicitly endorse by its data
structures? If I were to ask, I would immediately say a) because this
is the only convention of this list that is motivated by science
(geology) and not by politics or history, but this is just my personal
opinion.

Regards,
Wolfgang Keller