[tz] Americas (was: Split America into North America and South America)

Benjamin Drung benjamin.drung at canonical.com
Fri Jan 6 23:47:04 UTC 2023

On Fri, 2023-01-06 at 18:08 -0500, dpatte via tz wrote:
> Personally, I'd like to at least see 'America' renamed 'Americas', to
> both differentiate from the nickname for the USA, and to show there
> two continents (by traditional naming).

There are long-standing bug reports in Debian [1] and Ubuntu [2] for
renaming America to Americas. As of a few minutes ago, I renamed the
English debconf translation from America to Americas. So if you run
"dpkg-reconfigure tzdata" (with tzdata >= 2022g-2) you will see
"Americas" as area.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/688318
[2] https://launchpad.net/bugs/772024
[3] https://salsa.debian.org/glibc-team/tzdata/-/commit/bb4c64d1e2747f1c835e61a96d7f08cd28948ada