[tz] Swiss time selectable for Germany

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Jan 7 21:30:28 UTC 2023

On 2023-01-07 01:53, Benjamin Drung via tz wrote:
> Thanks. Could you add " (Germany)" to Büsingen? It is too small to be
> commonly known in Germany.

I looked into how that string is used, came up with what I hope is a
better idea, tested it, and fixed another glitch or two that I found.

The idea is that zone1970.tab's comment column should cover only
countries that have multiple timezones, so that it needn't worry about
summarizing all the other countries (which don't need the summary anyway).

I installed the attached patches to implement this. With it, if you run
tzselect and choose Germany, you see:

   Please select one of the following timezones.
   1) Büsingen enclave
   2) Germany (most areas)

which I hope is good enough in the context where you've already picked
Germany. It's OK when someone who runs tzselect doesn't know about
Büsingen, as they should just shrug and pick the "most areas" line.

Patch 1 implements this change.

Patch 2 shortens the TF comment so that if you run tzselect and pick
Asia, the prompt still fits on a 24×80 screen (it ballooned in 2022b).

Patch 3 improves tzselect so that it takes advantage of the Patch 1
change. This change improves behavior both with older and bleeding-edge
tzdata. Older tzselects will still work, though their
(already-confusing) messages will be perhaps a bit more confusing in
some cases. I hope this tzselect improvement migrates into Ubuntu soon.

Patch 4 fixes a glitch related to Johnston Island that I found while
testing.