[tz] Swiss time selectable for Germany

Peter Krefting peter at softwolves.pp.se
Mon Jan 9 07:19:56 UTC 2023

On Sat, 7 Jan 2023, Paul Eggert via tz wrote:

> The idea is that zone1970.tab's comment column should cover only countries
> that have multiple timezones, so that it needn't worry about summarizing all
> the other countries (which don't need the summary anyway).

Unfortunately, it still puts several countries into one timezone. While
selecting Sweden, Norway or Denmark skips the last step, so it doesn't say
"Germany" any longer, entering coordinates will:

   #? 11
   Please enter coordinates in ISO 6709 notation.
   For example, +4042-07403 stands for
   40 degrees 42 minutes north, 74 degrees 3 minutes west.
   +6000+1000
   Please select one of the following timezones, echo listed roughly in increasing order of distance from +6000+1000.
    1) Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Svalbard & Jan Mayen - Germany (all other areas)
    2) Czech Republic, Slovakia
    3) Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands
    4) Russia - MSK-01 - Kaliningrad
    5) Switzerland, Germany, Liechtenstein - Büsingen
    6) Estonia
    7) Finland, Åland Islands
    8) Latvia
    9) Britain (UK), Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey
   10) Poland

While it does give the country names on the first line, the "Germany (all
other areas)" comment is slightly confusing (personally I find the choice of
German time confusing, calling EU or Brussels time would probably be less
confusing).

(I currently maintain a patch to disambiguate cases where multiple countries
are listed for the same timezone for the time selector in my $DAYJOB
product; my UI is based on time, as the system is most likely to have a
valid UTC time, so the user will first select the current wall-clock time
and then a location for that time.)

--
\\// Peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/