[tz] not getting proper timezone for few countries

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis at Shaw.ca
Wed Jan 18 20:30:33 UTC 2023

On 2023-01-18 10:46, Bhardwaj, vanshika via tz wrote:
> We are using tzdata vendor source latest version which is 2022g in our code,
> which basically return the timezones value of the country as per the mapping
> but we found for few of the countries we are getting alphanbetic value as an
> output of time-zone, like if we select India so timezones we are getting for
> India is IST as an output which is expected, but if we select Brasilia so
> timezones for Brasilia we are getting is -03, which is numeric value, so
> can u please tell us when u are going to add the timezones for the rest of the
> countries or it will be same.

Most alphabetic time zone *abbreviations* /invented/ by the time zone project
were replaced a few years ago by numeric UTC offsets.
Those /invented/ alphabetic time zone *abbreviations* replaced were not found to
be widely used online either in English contexts, or in the language scripts
commonly used on web sites in the country.
The time zone project handles neither I18N internationalization nor L14N
localization to provide time zone descriptions or abbreviations in the languages
and scripts used in non-English-using countries.
I18N and L14N for time zones are provided by the Unicode CLDR project for most
countries, languages, and scripts, with supporting packages and programming
language bindings available for most systems, distributions, and package
management systems.

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis			Calgary, Alberta, Canada

La perfection est atteinte			Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter	not when there is no more to add
mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer	but when there is no more to cut
			-- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry