[tz] [PROPOSED 2/2] Prefer “°” to “degrees” when quoting source saying former

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Jan 25 03:17:48 UTC 2023

On 1/24/23 16:28, Paul Gilmartin via tz wrote:

>> The recent patch catches a couple of instances of ‘°’ that I missed
>> back in 2018.
>
> That came to my mail reader as
> <https://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/b0/index.htm>.  Had you
> composed
> it as such, or did an MTA fix it for you?

The former. I copied and pasted from TZDB’s source. I had originally
composed it in the source by typing “C-x 8 RET DEGREE SIGN RET” into Emacs.

Another way I could have typed it would have been “Caps-Lock o o” since
I have Caps Lock bound to Compose in GNOME. However, Emacs supports
arbitrary Unicode code points better than GNOME does so I tend to do
things the Emacs way even though it’s more painful for this particular case.

In writing this email I noticed that we don’t need UNUSUAL_OK_IPA any
more. That macro was put in when the ‘europe’ file had the commentary
“common pronunciation in Ukrainian, namely [ˈkɪjiu̯] (IPA)”. Since the
commentary no longer opines on how to pronounce “Київ” in Ukrainian it
no longer uses “u̯”, so I installed the attached further patch.