[tz] Issue with timezone

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis at Shaw.ca
Tue Jul 18 03:31:27 UTC 2023

On 2023-07-17 13:19, Paul Eggert via tz wrote:
> On 2023-07-15 15:51, Ty Hanks via tz wrote:
>> Having an issue with timezone ‘America/Bogota’ should be the same as
>> ‘America/NewYork’
>
> No, they're different timezones as Doug mentioned. Also, it's "America/New_York"
> not "America/NewYork".
>

>> if you pull time based on it from pytz which uses your database. You get the
>> wrong timezone a 3 or 4 hour ahead timezone.
>
> Actually, I don't get that. It works for me on Fedora 38; see below. If you're
> having trouble, please try the recipe below to help you get started debugging.
>
> Also, please read Paul Ganssle's "pytz: The Fastest Footgun in the West"
> <https://blog.ganssle.io/articles/2018/03/pytz-fastest-footgun.html>.
>
> $ python3
> Python 3.11.4 (main, Jun  7 2023, 00:00:00) [GCC 13.1.1 20230511 (Red Hat
> 13.1.1-2)] on linux
>  >>> from datetime import datetime
>  >>> from pytz import timezone
>  >>> format = "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S %z (%Z)"
>  >>> now = datetime.now(timezone('UTC'))
>  >>> print(now.strftime(format))
> 2023-07-17 19:12:05 +0000 (UTC)
>  >>> print(now.astimezone(timezone('America/New_York')).strftime(format))
> 2023-07-17 15:12:05 -0400 (EDT)
>  >>> print(now.astimezone(timezone('America/Bogota')).strftime(format))
> 2023-07-17 14:12:05 -0500 (-05)

Also, do you have the latest pytz 2023.3 installed?

IANAP but have noticed while testing pytz issues, that if anything is not quite
right, you get UTC/GMT rather than whatever you think you asked for!

Current built-in python 3+ datetime uses the python zoneinfo module to access
your local system zoneinfo (tzdata) package, if it is set up in a standard way,
and your python is set up to use it that way.
If there is some discrepancy, e.g. Windows, you can install python tzdata
package version 2023.3 which will be used by the python zoneinfo module:

	https://docs.python.org/3/library/zoneinfo.html

The python-dateutil package current version 2.8.2 handles relative delta dates
and supports date parsing.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry