[tz] Tzdb and the Sunshine Protection Act

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Fri Mar 3 09:04:27 UTC 2023

    Date:        Fri, 03 Mar 2023 09:04:48 +0100
    From:        Andreas Schwab via tz <tz at iana.org>

  | On Mär 02 2023, Paul Eggert via tz wrote:
  |
  | > If common practice becomes "ET" we couldn't use that, unfortunately,
  | > as POSIX requires at least three characters.
  |
  | When /dst/ is missing, /std/ can be less than 3 bytes.

What gives you that impression?

Where it says

	The interpretation of these fields is unspecified if either field
	is less than three bytes (except for the case when dst is missing),

it is just allowing for a missing dst field being (obviously) 0 bytes, and
hence less than 3 - it is the missing dst field that is allowed to be less
than 3 bytes in that case, not the std field.   But perhaps that could be
clearer.

kre