[tz] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-murchison-rfc8536bis-06.txt

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Thu Mar 9 22:55:25 UTC 2023

On 2023-03-09 4:57 PM, Doug Ewell via tz wrote:
> Brooks Harris replied to Paul Eggert:
>
>>> PS. I see that the draft sometimes says "leap second" and sometimes
>>> "leap-second". I assume that follows some editorial rule that I don't
>>> remember. The above text might need hyphenization to fix that.
>> ITU-R Recommendation 460, the specification of the leap-second, spells
>> "leap-second" with the hyphen. I feel that's the "proper" spelling
>> because it comes from the ITU-R document.
> Most usage in American English, outside of standards documents, trends toward “leap second,“ just as it trends toward “leap year” rather than “leap-year.”
OK. I'm typically thinking of "standards documents" and in the context
of tzdb we are often speaking in "standards" terms. Is "leap second"
*exactly* the same as "leap-second"? I'm not as concerned with "American
English" v.s. some other "English" and I'm surely not an expert in such
distinctions. I hope for technical clarity in this arena. As I said, I
*feel* "leap-second" with hyphen is the most clear because it comes from
the source document. How its used in tzdb specs or documentation is a
choice contributors can make.

Thanks,

-Brooks