[tz] New Version Notification for draft-murchison-rfc8536bis-06.txt

Guy Harris gharris at sonic.net
Thu Mar 9 23:24:58 UTC 2023

On Mar 9, 2023, at 2:34 PM, Paul Eggert via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> Also contrast POSIX's use of the word "timezone" (meaning just an abbreviation and a UT offset) with TZDB's use (meaning a tzdb Zone, something more complicated).

Neither of which correspond to time zones in this sense of the word, which may be what many (most?) people think of when they hear "time zone":

	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_zone#/media/File:World_Time_Zones_Map.png

as:

	1) the non-adjusted TZ offset might correspond to that sort of time zone, but not all locations within that sort of time zone necessarily use the same abbreviation (or have the same rules for adjusting the TZ offset if they adjust it), so that doesn't correspond to a POSIX "timezone"

and

	2) over and above what's in 1), a given tzdb Zone may move between time zones in that sense, so it corresponds even *less* to a tzdb Zone.

That's why I tend to refer to tzdb Zones as "tzdb regions" rather than anything containing the word "zone".