[tz] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-murchison-rfc8536bis-06.txt

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis at Shaw.ca
Fri Mar 10 01:54:31 UTC 2023

On 2023-03-09 14:59, Steve Allen wrote:
> On Thu 2023-03-09T13:30:52-0800 Paul Eggert hath writ:
>> Leap Second Table: A record of a series of consecutive leap seconds.
>>
>> Leap Second Table Expiration: The cutoff time for a leap second table, such
>> that the table does not record the presence or absence of leap seconds on or
>> after the cutoff. For example, a leap second table published in January,
>> which predicts the presence or absence of a leap second at June's end, might
>> expire in mid-December because when the table is published it is not known
>> whether a leap second will occur at December's end.

> Be aware that this six month expiration cycle is a leftover from the
> Soviet demands at the inception of leap-seconds and is not explicit in
> any regulatory document. It is tradition, albeit long established.

Possibly a government which understands the realistic limitations of its, and
others, bureaucracies; rather than one which expects its petulant last minute
demands be immediately satisfied by everyone else in the world affected slaving
tirelessly to offset their inability to think and plan six months ahead. ;^>

[OTOH I worked on a project where the org took until the project development
deadline a year later to decide which set of rules it followed^Wwanted to
follow^Wchose to pick^Wneeded to use, all of which had to be implemented,
tested, and deployment tested with all options, so they could decide at the last
minute, and also throw in some other demands which blew their own deadline!]

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry