[tz] Extended winter time

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Mar 13 22:23:34 UTC 2023

On 3/13/23 08:39, Tim Parenti wrote:
> our predicted March transition dates for 2024
> and 2025 also fall within Ramadan.

Also the years 2035-2058, 2068-2087, etc., if I estimated correctly.

When Ramadan occurs during midsummer, will there be four clock changes
in the year? That is: spring forward in March, fall back before Ramadan,
spring forward after Ramadan, fall back in October?

The Palestinian government may want to ask the Moroccan government how
Morocco estimates dates for Ramadan, as Morocco also moves the clocks
back during Ramadan. Although we cannot predict Ramadan exactly, we can
use a conservative algorithm to choose a Saturday known to occur before
Ramadan, and a Saturday known to occur after, and use those dates for
the clock changes.

This is what we do for Morocco, as can be seen here:

https://github.com/eggert/tz/blob/1dd5133c04707a454e275032f6264b03f267638b/africa#L850