[tz] Lebanon will not spring forward this weekend

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Mar 23 22:43:24 UTC 2023

On 3/23/23 13:22, Saadallah Itani wrote:

> I hope Linux Vendors pull the new tzdb changes soon.

We first have to publish tzdb 2023b with the patch for Lebanon
<https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/attachments/20230323/b810bf1a/0001-Lebanon-springs-forward-later-this-year.patch>,
which I hope to do quite soon.

Unfortunately, many GNU/Linux and other downstream suppliers take some
time (a week or more) to test changes before they release data to their
users. So unless you're using one of the smaller, faster-moving distros
like Alpine Linux you'll likely be out of luck.

People in Lebanon can work around the problem temporarily with an
approximation like TZ='EET-2EEST,M4.3.5/0,M10.5.0/0' (this is good for
predicted timestamps from April 15, 2022 up to but not including March
31, 2024). If your system doesn't support POSIX TZ strings (many cell
phones are like this), you can instead use an approximation like
TZ='Africa/Tripoli' (good for predicted timestamps from March 27, 2022
up to April 21 of this year).