[tz] [PROPOSED 2/2] Fix comments on Lebanon this week

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Mar 29 05:55:11 UTC 2023

On 2023-03-28 02:18, Paige Tummons via tz wrote:

> We are strongly urging you to reflect this update in the 2023c file, to avoid the published tzdata file being in direct conflict with the government directive of the spring DST event in Lebanon happening on 30 March.

Unfortunately I did not see your email until after we released version
2023c of the Time Zone Database (TZDB), by reverting to version 2023a's
data. 2023c's idea was to do something simple, partly because any other
approach would take time to develop and review and we're short of time
given that 2023b is wrong for timestamps starting about 16 hours from now.

As I understand it, last weekend the American University of Beirut
Medical Center's IT staff updated some computers to use the equivalent
of TZDB 2023b (and therefore to not spring forward March 25/26), but on
Sunday (due to an announcement by the Minister of Education and Higher
Education that schools would spring forward March 25/26) they intended
to spend some time this week to go back to 2023a (and therefore to
implement the March 25/26 spring forward)[1], even though the prime
minister had not yet changed his own mind yet. Now that the prime
minister has changed his mind, perhaps AUBMC's IT staff are now supposed
to do the equivalent of converting these computers back to 2023b, and
then converting them again to 2023a (or upgrading to 2023c) promptly at
24:00 Wednesday local time. If so, I can see why these conversions back
and forth and back and forth are not greeted with enthusiasm (among
other things it will make it hard to interpret these timestamps later).

In contrast, Saint Joseph University of Beirut continued with the old
2023a rules and sprang forward March 25/26[2]. If they stuck with that
decision, their job is already done - simply by doing nothing.

I got this information from Thomas Claburn's piece "Lebanon's IT folks
face double trouble as leaders delayed Daylight Savings Time"[3], which
noted similar issues in banking and other application areas.

As Debbie Goldsmith noted today[4], after the dust settles we will have
more time to revisit this and reflect on how to add historical detail as
needed to TZDB.

[1]: https://aub.edu.lb/emergency/Documents/daylight-savings.pdf
[2]:
https://www.facebook.com/usj.edu.lb/posts/pfbid02PdcMNvEuZP1MJ2GqFWS4pdcYvVf3VKsnMf442t3Mno1qcP7KnBYoAm69bbdWFwmBl