[tz] Changes to DST in IR/Tehran timezone

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis at Shaw.ca
Tue May 16 17:47:40 UTC 2023

On 2023-05-16 11:00, Tim Parenti via tz wrote:
> On Tue, 16 May 2023 at 11:54, Jafari Abolfazl wrote:
>> Due to goverments choices, starting from 21st March 2023, Iran dismissed
>> DST and now time should stay at +3:30, but due to lack of contacting with
>> official channels, it seems lots of systems still use 2023c tz database
>> and time is +4:30.

> We received initial notice of pending changes in Iran last year, on 15 March 2022:
> https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2022-March/031265.html
> <https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2022-March/031265.html>
> A few months later, on 10 May 2022, we were given more finalized notice of the
> implementation details and made the corresponding changes:
> https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2022-May/031400.html
> <https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2022-May/031400.html>
> https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/66b18d9835dda089d65349c86e7851c4f0746e09
> <https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/66b18d9835dda089d65349c86e7851c4f0746e09>
> These changes have been present in the distribution since version 2022b, which
> was released on 11 August 2022.
>     This problem cause so many problem specially in smartphone that due to lack
>     of automatic time, many application won't work correctly.
> Unfortunately, there's not much we can do on our end to further encourage
> downstream vendors to update their copies of our data.  Each maintainer of
> operating systems, servers, and other platforms has to choose to take the update
> and deploy it to their customers, and if some devices are old and out of
> support, they may not ever receive them.

Also if your phone is set to use network time it uses Network Identity and Time
Zone https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NITZ messages from your mobile service
provider, which may not yet have been updated.
It is also possible some organizations or governments may deploy "Stingray"
2G/“Hailstorm” 4G/IMSI Catchers/cell site simulators (for tracking or
eavesdropping) which are not up to date, do not support the current time zone
settings, or provide correct time.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry