[tz] [man]: Bullet lists

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sun Oct 22 00:36:03 UTC 2023

On 2023-10-18 04:16, Alejandro Colomar wrote:

> I guess using '\[bu]' (or '\(bu') might not be appropriate for the tz
> project, as it may be less portable to old systems

We should be ok with \(bu even with older nroff; I just checked with
Solaris 10 nroff and it generated an ASCII 'o', same as GNU/Linux.

> The change would be to use '.IP * 3' instead of '.IP * 2'.  3 is for the
> width of '*' +2.

3 is equivalent to 3n, which is too much for PDF output. I installed the
attached, which uses \w'\(bu  'u instead of 3. This is equivalent for to
3 for nroff, and has a better look for troff.

This patch also cleans up some of the other indenting irregularities in
TZDB man pages; for example, plain ".TP" is good enough, and we don't
need ".TP 10". Hope it works for you.