[tz] Unearthly time zone in the news

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Wed Apr 3 18:03:29 UTC 2024

> On Apr 3, 2024, at 13:36, Paul Eggert via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:
>
> On 2024-04-02 22:16, Arthur David Olson via tz wrote:
>
>> https://www.theguardian.com/science/2024/apr/02/moon-nasa-coordinated-lunar-time?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=edit_2221&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1712106451
>
> Thanks for the heads-up. There seems to be no acknowledgment in the White House press release of a similar effort launched by the European Space Agency last year, and the Guardian missed the boat on reporting on whether there are now two competing efforts to specify time on the Moon. I hope we are not going back to the bad old days, when France's prime meridian differed from Germany's.

Here are the full press releases from OSTP. There are actually two:

White House Office of Science and Technology Policy Releases Celestial Time Standardization Policy
https://www.whitehouse.gov/ostp/news-updates/2024/04/02/white-house-office-of-science-and-technology-policy-releases-celestial-time-standardization-policy/

Policy on Celestial Time Standardization in Support of the National Cislunar Science and Technology (S&T) Strategy
https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Celestial-Time-Standardization-Policy.pdf

Additionally, the Cislunar Technology Strategy Interagency Working Group's strategy paper from November 2022:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/11-2022-NSTC-National-Cislunar-ST-Strategy.pdf

/dale