[tz] [PROPOSED 1/2] Streamline tz-link a bit

brian.inglis at systematicsw.ab.ca brian.inglis at systematicsw.ab.ca
Thu Feb 1 16:02:26 UTC 2024

On 2024-02-01 01:09, Paul Eggert via tz wrote:
>   The General Conference on Weights and Measures
> -<a href="https://www.bipm.org/en/cgpm-2022/resolution-4">voted in 2022</a>
> +<a href="https://www.bipm.org/en/cgpm-2022/resolution-4">decided in 2022</a>
>   to discontinue the use of leap seconds by 2035, replacing them with an
>   as-yet-undetermined scheme some time after the year 2135.

I would keep the official bureaucratic weasel words:

"requests...consult...propose a new maximum value for the difference (UT1-UTC)
that will ensure the continuity of UTC for at least a century"

which hopefully might be agreed by 2035, unless anyone with a big stick, or who
can raise a big political stink, disrupt it, like conservative, including
religious, groups, who may feel their beliefs, standards, influence, or power
are being threatened: just like the last 20-50 years!

> +The World Radiocommunication Conference <a
> +href="https://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-r/opb/act/R-ACT-WRC.15-2023-PDF-E.pdf">resolved
> +in 2023</a> to cooperate with this process.

It seems that telecommunications organizations have little to no role to play in
disseminating any modern time or frequency standards, except regulators who need
to keep GNSS bands free of all interference terrestrial or extra-terrestrial?

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry