[tz] RFC 8536bis

Michael H Deckers michael.h.deckers at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 2 16:10:16 UTC 2024

    On 2024-02-01 17:35, brian.inglis--- via tz wrote:

> I suspect the developer thought that as the Gregorian calendar has
> been unchanged for 400yr, projecting changes another 400yr should be
> adequate, as the calendar or rules are likely to be changed by then.

    I rather think that the 400 years are enough to derive the
    transitions throughout the indefinite future by a simple lookup
    in TZif data: for years 2408..2807, use the transitions of
    years 2008..2407, ie, 400 years earlier, etc. If localtime() etc
    would do that, then they would implement the Rules as originally
    written.

> Suggest patches to improve the behaviour or documentation.

    I actually tried to do that: explicitly write the Rules
    with 2407 instead of max, so as to make it explicit that
    the Rules only apply for 402 years.

    Michael Deckers.