[tz] Extending winter time in Palestine

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sun Feb 4 01:29:08 UTC 2024

On 2024-02-03 13:06, brian.inglis--- via tz wrote:
> There should be some better sources available of accurate astronomical
> moon sighting calculations

The timestamps TZDB documents are civil timestamps, not religious ones.
This is why TZDB cites the Palestinian Cabinet's predictions, not the
astronomical observations that are the basis of the Islamic calendar.

Although I don't know, I guess that start-of-Ramadan crescent moon
sightings in Palestine are evaluated by an investigation committee of
the Palestinian Fatwa House <https://www.darifta.ps/>. If so, surely the
Cabinet would defer to the Fatwa House if the Cabinet's conservative
predictions of a period of time around Ramadan turn out to be not
conservative enough.

However, if this (dare I say it?) astronomically improbable event
occurs, that won't change the start and end of Ramadan - all it would
mean is that legal clock changes wouldn't match Ramadan that year, due
to the Cabinet's mistake. At most the Cabinet would make some
last-second correction (perhaps even an ex-post-facto correction!) and
tzdata could continue to cite just the Cabinet. This is because TZDB's
goal is to document what human clocks say, not what the earth and moon
are doing.