[tz] Extra transition for Europe/London with 2023d

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Jan 6 21:03:36 UTC 2024

On 2024-01-06 12:45, Guy Harris via tz wrote:
> there is no inherent reason why the TZif format, for example, should
> limit itself to supporting only the date/time functions that POSIX and
> the C standard currently happen to provide

Although an API *could* support deeper interrogation of TZif details, I
doubt whether that'd be a good idea. The distinction between stdoff and
tm_gmtoff is not always clear, any extra information you'd extract from
the data could well be dubious (certainly there are dubious corners in
this part of tzdata now), and improving tzdata and maintaining the
result would require unnecessary work.

We saw an instance of this sort of thing in America/Nuuk last year.
Before 2023d, summer 2023 was marked as daylight saving time, but 2023d
changed that to standard time. Although nobody in the real world cared
(because it didn't affect UTC offsets or even abbreviations), the change
consumed nontrivial maintenance effort. And the only reason the change
was needed was because of tm_isdst, a feature that should never have
been made visible to users in the first place.

I wouldn't want even more unnecessary maintenance make-work to follow
from exposing even more unnecessary details to users.