[tz] Ontario 1949-1950 DST->STD in Sep not Nov

Chris Walton crj.walton at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 08:27:06 UTC 2024

On Mon, 8 Jan 2024 at 20:44, Paul Eggert via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> This new info doesn't affect our understanding of Toronto, right?

Paul,
Individual cities, towns, townships, and villages in Ontario used to set
their own daylight saving rules.  That should not be a surprise to anybody
on this mailing list!
Toronto observed daylight saving until late November in both 1949 and
1950.  Some of Ontario's other municipalities stayed in sync with Toronto,
but clearly as indicated by Brian's email, some municipalities did not.

The only thing that needs changing in the TZ DB for America/Toronto is the
transition times. The changes in 1947, 1948, and 1949 took place at 2:00
a.m. local time instead of midnight.
Below is a set of articles and proclamations published in the Toronto Daily
Star.  OCR was somewhat ineffective, so please forgive me if I accidentally
introduced any typing or copy/paste errors.
The proclamations are relevant specifically to the City of Toronto and do
not automatically extend to other municipalities.
Also note that the city boundaries were much smaller than they are today,
but for the purposes of the TZ DB we don't need to know or care about that.
-chris

>From the Toronto Daily Star - Wednesday, April 2, 1947 - Page 39
 PROCLAMATION
 DAYLIGHT SAVING (TORONTO)
 APRIL 27 TO SEPTEMBER 28, 1947
 Whereas the City Council by resolution adopted on February 17, 1947, has
authorized me to issue a proclamation requesting the citizens to observe a
period of Daylight Saving for the current year, commencing at 2 o'clock
a.m. on Sunday, April 27, and continuing until 2 o'clock  a.m. on Sunday,
September 28.
 To carry out this request of the City Council, it will be necessary that
all
  CLOCKS AND WATCHES BE ADVANCED ONE HOUR AT 2 O'CLOCK A.M. ON SUNDAY,
APRIL 27
 The City Council most respectfully asks the hearty co-operation of all
classes of citizens in making a success of this movement for the public
benefit.
 Proclaimed pursuant to the instructions of the City Council this 2nd day
of April, 1947.
 ROBERT H. SAUNDERS, C.B.E., K.C., Mayor.
 — GOD SAVE THE KING  —

>From the Toronto Daily Star - Wednesday, April 7, 1948 - Page 13
 PROCLAMATION
 DAYLIGHT SAVING (TORONTO)
 APRIL 25 TO SEPTEMBER 26, 1948
 Whereas the City Council by resolution adopted on January 26, 1948, has
authorized me to issue a proclamation requesting the citizens to observe a
period of Daylight Saving for the current year, commencing at 2 o'clock
a.m. on Sunday, April 25, and continuing until 2 o'clock  a.m. on Sunday,
September 26.
 To carry out this request of the City Council, it will be necessary that
all
  CLOCKS AND WATCHES BE ADVANCED ONE HOUR AT 2 O'CLOCK A.M. ON SUNDAY,
APRIL 25
 The City Council most respectfully asks the hearty co-operation of all
classes of citizens in making a success of this movement for the public
benefit.
 Proclaimed pursuant to the instructions of the City Council this 7th day
of April, 1948.
 H. E. McCALLUM, Mayor.
 — GOD SAVE THE KING  —

>From the Toronto Daily Star - Saturday, April 2, 1949 - Page 1
 TORONTO FAST TIME TO START APRIL 24
 Toronto's daylight saving time this year will begin Sunday, April 24, and
will continue until Nov. 27 — two months longer than last year.
 The city properties department said the extension of time over last year's
dates of end of April to the end of September, is being instituted to
effect a hydro saving next fall.
 Daylight saving comes into effect in Britain tomorrow morning when clocks
will be put forward one hour to British Summer Time. B.S.T. is six hours
ahead of Eastern Standard Time.

>From the Toronto Daily Star - Thursday, April 7, 1949 - Page 24
 PROCLAMATION
 DAYLIGHT SAVING (TORONTO)
 APRIL 24 TO NOVEMBER 27, 1949
 Whereas the City Council by resolution adopted on February 22, 1949, has
authorized me to issue a proclamation requesting the citizens to observe a
period of Daylight Saving for the current year, commencing at 2 o'clock
a.m. on Sunday, April 24, and continuing until 2 o'clock  a.m. on Sunday,
November 27.
 To carry out this request of the City Council, it will be necessary that
all
  CLOCKS AND WATCHES BE ADVANCED ONE HOUR AT 2 O'CLOCK A.M. ON SUNDAY,
APRIL 24
 The City Council most respectfully asks the hearty co-operation of all
classes of citizens in making a success of this movement for the public
benefit.
 Proclaimed pursuant to the instruction of the City Council this 7th day of
April, 1949.
 H. E. McCALLUM, MAYOR.
 — GOD SAVE THE KING  —

>From the Toronto Daily Star - Friday, November 25, 1949 - Page 52
 PROCLAMATION
 CHANGE TO STANDARD TIME AT 2 O'CLOCK A.M.
 Sunday, November 27, 1949
 Whereas, by direction of the City Council, a proclamation was issued
requesting the citizens to observe a period of daylight saving from the
24th day of April until the 27th day of November, 1949.
 These are, therefore, to request all citizens to set back their clocks and
watches one hour AT 2.00 O'CLOCK A.M. ON SUNDAY, THE 27th INSTANT
 All persons interested are respectfully requested to take notice of this
proclamation and govern themselves accordingly.
 November 24, 1949. H. E. McCALLUM, MAYOR
 GOD SAVE THE KING

>From the Toronto Daily Star - Friday, April 21, 1950 - Page 14
 PROCLAMATION
 DAYLIGHT SAVING (TORONTO)
 APRIL 30 TO SEPTEMBER 24, 1950
 Whereas the City Council by resolution adopted on February 6, 1950, has
authorized me to issue a proclamation requesting the citizens to observe a
period of Daylight Saving for the current year, commencing at 2 o'clock
a.m. on Sunday, April 30, and continuing until 2 o'clock  a.m. on Sunday,
September 24.
 To carry out this request of the City Council, it will be necessary that
all
  CLOCKS AND WATCHES BE ADVANCED ONE HOUR AT 2 O'CLOCK A.M. ON SUNDAY,
APRIL 30
 The City Council most respectfully asks the hearty co-operation of all
classes of citizens in making a success of this movement for the public
benefit.
 Proclaimed pursuant to the instruction of the City Council this 14th day
of April, 1950.
 H. E. McCALLUM, MAYOR.
 — GOD SAVE THE KING  —

partial extract From the Toronto Daily Star - Tuesday, September 19, 1950 -
Page 46
 CITY EXTENDS DAYLIGHT TIME
 MUST FOLLOW SUIT--SUBURBS
 Daylight saving time will continue in Toronto until Nov. 26, city council
decided last night. The extension of daylight time was at the suggestion of
Robert Saunders, Ontario Hydro chairman, who said it would stagger peak
loads which are presently at an all-time high.
 Four aldermen voted against continued daylight time. These were Ald. Nash,
Cowling, Sparling and Nelson.
 Presenting the case to council Mayor McCallum admitted railway companies,
radio stations and workingmen did not favor the extension as it would cause
them considerable inconvenience and confusion. "However the confusion and
inconvenience will be 10 times greater if we don’t have it."
 "This is not something we have dreamed up," he declared. "The provincial
commission has asked us to do it. It is a definite request from Mr
Saunders. He is asking only Toronto and Hamilton to do it. If we have to
pull the plug it will mean a great deal more hardship".
 *Changes Peak Hours*.
 The prolongation of daylight time will mean the peak hours of demand will
be moved back earlier in the day, said Ald Nash. "I say daylight time
should end on the date set — Sept 24. Anyone with children will appreciate
the difficulty in getting the children to school if daylight time is
extended."
  "There has been a great to-do about hydro shortages," remarked Ald.
Cowling. "During the past several months we have heard of the great new
hydro establishments. I remember Mr Saunders saying there would be no more
shortages. In face of that we now have a message that the situation is
desperate. How long is this going to go on?"
 "The conservation of power is nothing more than a delusion and those who
say it is a saving are trying to hoodwink the public" Ald. Sparling
declared. "The hydro have interruptible accounts through which they can
reduce the number of kilowatt hours"
 "I think Mr. Saunders has been too enthusiastic and optimistic," said Ald
Belyea. "He has confused the people." "He couldn’t know last year what Joe
Stalin was going to do this year," replied the mayor.
 "Then there is the possibility of further cuts?” persisted Ald Belyea.
 "Yes" replied the mayor "if Joe goes further".
 Mayors and reeves of suburban municipalities generally agreed today there
is no other course but to fall in line with last night's decision to extend
daylight saving time to Nov. 26.
 Port Credit and Long Branch followed suit last night.

>From the Toronto Daily Star - Wednesday, September 20, 1950 - Page 3
 PROCLAMATION
 EXTENSION of DAYLIGHT SAVING to NOVEMBER 26,1950
 Whereas the City Council, being desirous of doing everything possible to
assist in the conservation of electrical power, authorized me to issue a
proclamation extending the period for the observance of Daylight Saving
until
 2:00 O'CLOCK A.M. ON SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 26, 1950
 These are, therefore, to request, respectfully, all classes of citizens to
co-operate and govern themselves accordingly in this proposal.
 Proclaimed pursuant to the instructions of the City Council this 20th day
of September, 1950
 H. E. McCALLUM, MAYOR.
 GOD SAVE THE KING

 Sunday, November 26, 1950
 Whereas, by direction of the City Council, a proclamation was issued
requesting the citizens to observe a period of daylight saving from the
30th day of April until the 26th day of November, 1950.
 These are, therefore, to request all citizens to set back their clocks and
watches one hour AT 2.00 O'CLOCK A.M. ON SUNDAY, THE 26th INSTANT
 All persons interested are respectfully requested to take notice of this
proclamation and govern themselves accordingly.
 November 22, 1950 H. E. McCALLUM, MAYOR
 GOD SAVE THE KING