[tz] trailing whitespace in IERS leap-seconds.list file

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Jan 10 18:33:59 UTC 2024

On 2024-01-10 01:01, Martin Burnicki wrote:

> A proper solution would probably be to re-run the script to create a new
> file, without trailing space, but with consistent "last update" time
> stamp and file name ending, and file time.

Yes, that's what I was hinting at, though I didn't say so explicitly.

Ideally the HTTP Last-Modified: timestamp for leap-seconds.list would be
identical to the file's internal "last update" time, and would specify
the preferred timezone for the timestamp. Presumably the IERS script
that generates leap-seconds.list could use the POSIX "touch" command to
set the file's timestamp appropriately.

Currently, TZDB is using the HTTP Last-Modified: timestamp but with the
Europe/Paris timezone, as that seems to best reflect how the file is
actually maintained. This approach could easily be changed if we get
better info about file maintenance, or if the file maintenance procedure
changes.

TZDB is also using the file's "Questions or comments to:" section to
construct the author name and email address for committing changes to
leap-seconds.list.