[tz] strftime %s

Guy Harris gharris at sonic.net
Tue Jan 23 07:40:15 UTC 2024

On Jan 22, 2024, at 10:58 PM, Paul Eggert via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> This stuff is relevant only for unusual machines like the Unisys ClearPath Dorado (36-bit one's complement but 'unsigned' doesn't always work right) and the Unisys Clearpath Libra (40-bit unsigned int and 41-bit signed-magnitude int). You can still buy these two platforms; the hardware, if memory serves, contains Intel Xeons with special microcode.

At least for the Dorado (the line that began with the Univac 1107), I think it's more like "with an LLVM-based binary-to-binary translator":

	https://discourse.llvm.org/t/llvm-job-opportunity-at-unisys/19830

They may have done the same for the Libra (the line that began with the Burroughs 6500), although it would need to handle the tag bits (they probably stuff the 48+3-tag-bit words in 64 bits).